On a day off they are usually not many activities planned and this day is mainly intended to recuperate from previous trainings, so that you can start fresh the next couple of days. Many sportsmen and women don’t make much distinction in their dietary pattern for training days and off days. An off day, however, is characterized by less physical activity, and as a result the intake of carbohydrates should be lowered (3 to 5g/kg body weight). Furthermore, it is important to give your body the necessary building blocks on a day of rest so that it can properly recover. These building blocks consist of protein, but also healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, fatty fish, walnut oil, linseed oil, rapeseed oil, … A rest day is the perfect opportunity to give some extra attention to the intake of vitamins and minerals through veggies and fruit.
Are you too struggling to swap the carb rich breakfasts on rest days by protein rich versions? With this superb dish we want to lend you a hand. The avocados provide the necessary vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. The salmon will guarantee the supply of healthy omega 3 fatty acids and the eggs will give you the necessary protein, vitamins and minerals.
So dive into your kitchen on your next rest day and treat yourself with a healthy and scrumptious breakfast!
Recipe for 2 portions:
- 2 avocados
- 4 small eggs
- 4 slices of smoked salmon
- Olive oil
- pepper/salt/chili flakes
- fresh dill
- 4 slices of dark wholegrain bread
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop some of the avocado flesh out so that there is enough room for the egg.
- Put a slice of ham on every avocado.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and separate the yolk and egg whites. With a spoon scoop the yolks over the smoked salmon and a spoonful of the egg whites. The entire eggs is a bit too rich.
- Season with pepper, salt and chili flakes and put in a preheated oven of 190°C for about 20 minutes. The yolk should still be a bit runny.
- Cut some dill land roast the slices of bread. Cut the bread into soldiers.